You DO NOT have to hike big, to have an adventure!
Whoever it was that said your hike had to be huge to be epic was just plain wrong. The following photograph was taken just 5 minutes walk from parking the car. We spent 2 days in the area and saw zero other humans whilst we explored this magical corner of The Brecks.
We’ve got a ton of suggestions for walks which you can do in just a couple of hours (and in many cases a lot less) that will knock your socks off! For example, just take a look at these dozen or so UK micro-adventures that will give you a whiff of wildness and exploration that will make you feel fabulous for days!
We’ve tried to squeeze in locations that you should be able to get to from where you live, explore, and return from, inside a day:
- Brandon Heath from Brandon Country Park
- Carn Aosda, from Glenshee
- Black Crag, from Tarn Hows
- High Rigg, from St John’s Church
- Kinder Plateau, from Edale
- Win Hill, from Yorkshire Bridge
- Heather Terrace, Tryfan
- Hawkscombe Head, from Porlock
- Holkham Pines, from Burnham Deepdale
- St Martha’s Hill, from Guildford
- Cold Law, via the Happy Valley
- Addleborough, from Askrigg
- Caer Caradoc, from Church Stretton
- Craig Cerrig-gleisiad, from Llwyn-y-celyn
- Slievemartin, from Rostrevor
If you are wondering where the routes are - that's not what we are about. We want to inspire you to explore the outdoors yourselves using your own imagination. If you need help with your navigation skills, take a little look at our Map and Compass Basics section under FYA Basics for a little guidance and practice them somewhere you are familiar with at first.
Then... the world is yours.